Friday, January 20, 2012

The Analysis of an Argument

I'm not sure if I totally understand all this, but here's what I've got:

Claim:
  • BYU professors should be LDS
Reasons:
  • BYU requires professors to implement LDS principles into their subject
  • BYU students come here with the understanding that they will be taught Gospel principles, and the best way for this is to be taught by those with the Spirit, who truly believe what they are teaching.
Assumptions:
  • Someone who truly believes what they are teaching (in other words, has a testimony) will teach much better than someone who is only teaching something because they are required to.
  • Those who truly believe and teach with the Spirit will help the students the most.

4 comments:

  1. I was going to say something about how teachers that aren't LDS can have the spirit as well, or vice versa, but I thought about it and realized that you're mostly right. I agree with you in 99% of cases. I feel that if there is a genuinely excellent teacher who incorporates LDS principles that they should not be denied, but at the same time I agree with the idea that an LDS teacher has a higher chance of teaching correct principles. I think this will be an awesome OpEd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! That's exactly what I'm writing in my essay. Thanks, I appreciate your input!

      Delete
  2. I can understand why you have this claim and how it can benefit the students; however, I think that it should NOT be mandatory for a professor to be LDS. I would say that we should encourage instructors to be of our church and teach the principles of the gospel, but give an equal opportunity for each candidate regardless of their religious preferences. Also, each person brings their own talents that are fortified by their background and beliefs. Finally, that professor may become persuaded by the spirit and eventually converting not only his/her self but many others as he/she teaches. Personally, I think your intention is correct, but I disagree with the presented action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't disagree with what you're saying. However, I think we can compare this to a mission. The church says we do NOT send out missionaries to convert them; they must be converted to the Gospel before they leave. Why would the church change their views for something like this? There's some food for thought for you.

      Delete