Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Last OpEd Post!!

Well, I guess I'm just supposed to tell ya'll about how I feel about writing my OpEd, right? Well, I hope that's right because that's what I'm going to do.

So once upon a time I was told to write this thing called an opinion editorial. First off, I was supposed to brainstorm some ideas. I came up with some ideas that I thought were fairly decent, but I didn't really know which one I wanted to write about. Finally I decided that the one that would be easiest to write about was whether or not BYU professors should be LDS; however, the real problem with that was: I didn't actually have an opinion on the subject! So I decided to just pretend to take a stance on the subject for the essay's sake, and the stance I took was that professors SHOULD be LDS in order to teach at BYU.

The next item of business was to write my first draft. Do you have any idea how annoying it is to write an essay about something you don't actually care about?? Well, let me tell you that it is pretty dang annoying. But I eventually finished a decent first draft and forgot about it for a week until the next draft was due.

I finished my "polished draft" and added the new things Professor Husberg told us about in class. I changed some things so I could better appeal to ethos, pathos, and logos and also added more counter-arguments and support. Then I turned this in and forgot about it again until the night before the final draft.

The class before the final draft was due, I realized that I hadn't gone to the writing center to get my paper checked yet.  Luckily (or rather, unluckily) I had a valid excuse (aka: family emergency) so I got an extra 12 hours to get it done. It was still annoying, but I did get it done and posted my essay a whopping 2 minutes before it was due.

So, the moral of this story: I did not enjoy writing my opinion editorial. I think it's good for me to know how to do it, and I'm glad I can write one if I ever need to; however, this doesn't mean I have to enjoy it. Well, I think that's about it. So...I'm going to end this now. If you made it this far without falling asleep, congratulations!! If not...I hope you had a great nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment